The Child's World
Great, wide, beautiful wonderful World,
With the wonderful water round you curled,
And the wonderful grass upon your breast,
World, you are beautifully drest.
- William Brighty Rands
To go along with our poem, and in recognition of Earth Day, we wanted to give the Earth a hug. You can too!
Here's What You Need:
White Paper Plate
Blue Water Colour Paint
Glue of Choice, and Tape (optional)
Beige Construction Paper
Scraps of Red Construction Paper
Large Googlie Eyes (or scraps of black and White Construction Paper to make eyes)
Here's What You Need To Do:
1. Colour "continents" on paper plate with green crayon. Younger children can just colour some oval green shapes if they wish, while older children may enjoy trying to do a basic sketch of continents.
2. Use blue watercolour paint to paint the plate blue. Go ahead and paint over your green continents as well. The crayon will resist the watercolour, and the blue colour will not appear (an art technique known as "watercolour resist").
3. While you are waiting for the paint to dry, trace your child's hands, and a portion of their arms, onto beige construction paper. Cut out.
4. Once paint is dry, turn plate over, and tape or glue arms to the back of the plate.
5. Turn plate over. Glue on googlie eyes. Cut a nose out of left over scraps of beige construction paper, and cut a mouth out of red construction paper. Glue onto your Earth.
6. Go ahead and bend the arms to give your Earth a hug! If desired, you can attach a loop to the top of your Earth to hand it.
May your Earth Day be meaningful. Think of steps you can take as a family to "give the Earth a Hug" too.
Beary Truly Yours,
Theodore Bear, on behalf of everyone at Ape To Zebra